Monkleigh is located within Torridge local authority area. Historically it formed part of Shebbear Hundred. It falls within Hartland Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 379 in 1801 358 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 100 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
A parish history file is held in Bideford Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Monkleigh area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 29/2 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 29NW
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SS455208. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SS42SE, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 126, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 180. Geological sheet 307 also covers the area.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
MONKLEIGH is a pleasant village on high ground immediately W. of the Torridge valley. There are fine views allover the parish. The church (St. George) is an interesting building, restored in 1862-3, with a splendid tower that is a landmark for miles around. The fabric was being rebuilt in 1423 when Sir William Hankford of Annery made his will, leaving money for the completion and maintenance of the S. aisle on condition that he and his heirs should have a burial place there. (The complete will is given in The Register of Henry Chichele(ed. Jacob, (1938), ii, 290-3).
A parclose screen, with late and rich detail, shuts off the Annery chapel from the rest of the S. aisle. Dame Anne St. Leger founded a chantry in this chapel after 1537 and the screen may date from then. There are a number of well carved bench-ends in the Annery aisle, bearing the emblems of the Passion and the arms of Annery families; and a considerable number of late medieval tiles in both the nave and the aisle. Among the various mural monuments and brasses in the church is one in the chancel to James Coffin, Esq., 1566, represented by a brass effigy of a man in armour kneeling, which came from a high tomb now destroyed.There is also a brass in the Annery aisle to Sir James St. Leger, 1509. More important is the canopied alter-tomb which is that of Sir William Hankford, chief justice of the King's Bench, who acquired Annery and other substantial estates.
Annery stands in a fine timbered park, commanding the Torridge valley. It came to the Stapeldons before 1260, in which year Walter de Stapeldon, Bishop of Exeter 1307-26, and lord treasurer under Edward II, was born here. By Polwhele's time the old house was in decay, and about the year 1800 it was drastically altered and modernised, as we see it to-day.