Milton Abbot is located within West Devon local authority area. It falls within Tavistock Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 862 in 1801 719 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 241 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
A parish history file is held in Tavistock Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Milton Abbot area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 97/9 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 97SW
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SX408793. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SX47NW, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 112, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 201. Geological sheet 337 also covers the area.
Illustrations: The image below is of Milton Abbot as included in the Library's illustrations collection. Other images can be searched for on the local studies catalogue.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
MILTON ABBOT takes its name from the fact that it formed part of the original endowment of Tavistock Abbey c. 974. At the Dissolution it passed to John, Lord Russell, as part of an enormous grant of the Tavistock lands, and still belongs to his lineal descendant, the Duke of Bedford. The estate has therefore changed hands only once in a thousand years. In 1810 the then duke built a "cottage" at Endsleigh, over looking the wooded Tamar valley, from the designs of Sir Jeffry Wyattville. A statue of the last abbot of Tavistock thoughtfully decorates one of the ornmental gables of the cottage.
Not far from Endsleigh is the original nest of another great family-the Mount Edgecumbes. They were free-holders at Edgecumbe in the 13th century and the senior branch resided here until the 1840s. The present Edgecumbe House is mainly late medieval in date, but was refronted in 1719. Leigh Barton was a Domesday manor. The church (St. Constantine) is mostly a 15th century building in the attractive green Hurdwick stone.