Marldon is located within South Hams local authority area. Historically it formed part of Haytor Hundred. It falls within Ipplepen Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 364 in 1801 506 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 116 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
You can look for material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Marldon area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 115/12,115/16 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 115SE
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SX868633. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SX86SE, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 031, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 202. Geological sheet 350 also covers the area.
Illustrations: The image below is of Marldon as included in the Library's illustrations collection. Other images can be searched for on the local studies catalogue.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
MARLDON possesses the best example of a fortified manor house left in the county-Compton Castle. An excellent guide to the building can be obtained at the house and a summary description is all that is necessary here. It is a building of early 14th to early 16th century date. Of the early 14th century building, erected c. 1330-40 by Geoffrey Gilbert, who had married the Compton heiress, the solar and the cellar remain, and some foundations of the great hall. The second building period, which brought about extensive changes, was 1450-75; much of the existing house dates from this time. Further large changes were made about 1520, when three of the five machicolated towers were added. The whole house, which is of outstanding interest, has been handed to the National Trust by Commander W. R. Gilbert, descendant of the Gilberts who built it. It was the home of Sir Humphrey Gilbert, the explorer and coloniser, and remained in the family until 1800, when it was sold. Commander Gilbert bought back the property, and has restored it carefully over a period of years. It is an astonishingly romantic place to come upon in a quiet Devonshire lane, bursting suddenly upon the eye without any warning.
Marldon church (St. John the Baptist) is entirely a 15th to early 16th century building, the oldest part being the W. tower, c. 400, and the latest the S. chancel aisle (the Compton chapel) built c. 1520 by John Gilbert of Compton, whose shield of arms appears on the E. respond. On each side of the chancel is a small canopied cenotaph, commemorating Otho Gilbert and his wife, Elizabeth, who built most of the church c. 1450. There are a number of incised slate slabs to local families. The Church House Inn contains some 15th century work.