Loxbeare is located within Mid Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of Tiverton Hundred. It falls within Tiverton Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 132 in 1801 100 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 37 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
A parish history file is held in Tiverton Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Loxbeare area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 34/13 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 34/SW
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SS912161. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SS91NW, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 114, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 181. Geological sheet 310 also covers the area.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
LOXBEARE has an interesting little church, and not much else. Leigh Barton was the Domesday manor of Lega and contains a certain amount of old work. The church (unknown dedication) is a 12th century structure. The square and massive W. tower is probably Norman and contains its set of three medieval bells in their original cage. They are from the foundry of I.T. and are said to date from Henry VI's time. The 12th century S. doorway is notable. Though the interior has been Victorianised, it is still pleasant. A fine pulpit and sounding board (c. 1700) remain, but much has gone. The screen was destroyed at the "restoration" of 1832. The royal arms over the S. door (1725) are rustic and pleasing.
LOXHORE church (St. Michael) is mainly 15th century in date. It was over-restored in 1876-82, but has a number of things worth seeing: a N. arcade carried on two 15th century oak piers, a font with a medieval carved cover, and some good Hammond monuments (1684, 1704, 1727).