Little Torrington is located within Torridge local authority area. Historically it formed part of Shebbear Hundred. It falls within Torrington Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 449 in 1801 407 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 116 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
A parish history file is held in Torrington Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Little Torrington area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 26/16 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 29SE
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SS491169. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SS41NE, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 126, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 180. Geological sheet 307 also covers the area.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
TORRINGTON, LITTLE stands high and commands fine views of the Torridge valley. The church (St. Giles) is dull, mostly rebuilt and enlarged in 1857 and later. The parish contains a number of interesting farmhouses. Frizenham, Hollam, and Smytham, are all mentioned in Domesday Book (1086). Woodland, the home of a branch of the Copplestones from the late 15th century until the end of the 18th, is essentially a medieval hall-house, remodelled in the late 16th century it is a good example of a small squire's house, and is of considerable antiquarian interest.
Taddiport is a hamlet beside the Torridge, which is here crossed by a massive three-arched bridge, possibly of 17th century date. A chapel, attached to a leper hospital founded in the 13th century, still remains, though considerably altered.