Littleham (Nr Exmouth)
Littleham (Nr Exmouth) is located within East Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of East Budleigh Hundred. It falls within Aylesbeare Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 1909 in 1801 5793 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. The lay subsidy of 1524 valued the community at £17/16/06.
A parish history file is held in Exmouth Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Littleham (Nr Exmouth) area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 103/2 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 103NW & SW
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SY029813. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SY08SW, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 030, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 192. Geological sheet 339 also covers the area.
Illustrations: The image below is of Littleham (Nr Exmouth) as included in the Library's illustrations collection. Other images can be searched for on the local studies catalogue.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
LITTLEHAM has lost some of its rural charm since the rapid growth of Exmouth (q.v.) which now covers a good deal of the parish. The church (St. Margaret and St. Andrew) is mainly 15th and early 16th century in date, with a 13th century chancel, the whole restored in 1884. The N. or Drake aisle was added in 1528, and has one window with contemporary glass. There are various memorials to the Drake family, who lived at Sprattshayes, now a farm. In the chantry chapel is a fine memorial by Turnerelli to Lady Nelson, the un- happy widow of the great admiral, who died in London (1831), but is buried here in the SE. corner of the churchyard. Sprattshayes is now a house of c. 1700, improved in the 19th century Green Farm, near by, is 17th and 18th century.