Langtree is located within Torridge local authority area. Historically it formed part of Shebbear Hundred. It falls within Torrington Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 583 in 1801 613 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 133 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
A parish history file is held in Torrington Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Langtree area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 40/2 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 40NW
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SS451156. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SS41NW,SS41NE, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 126, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 180. Geological sheet 307 also covers the area.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
LANGTREE like so many North Devon villages, stands high on a ridge, its bold church-tower a landmark for miles. The church (dedication unknown) is a 15th century building, with a fine 17th century pulpit.