Lamerton is located within West Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of Lifton Hundred. It falls within Tavistock Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 722 in 1801 1028 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 266 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
A parish history file is held in Tavistock Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Lamerton area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 105/2,105/3 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 105NW,105NE
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SX450796. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SX47NW,SX47NE, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 108, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 201. Geological sheet 337 also covers the area.
Illustrations: The image below is of Lamerton as included in the Library's illustrations collection. Other images can be searched for on the local studies catalogue.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
LAMERTON ( church (St. Peter) was burnt in 1877. It was rebuilt (except the tower) in the 15th century style in 1879-80. It is a spacious church, with large Perpendicular windows filled with clear glass. There is a fine monument to the Tremayne family, erected in 1588, and there are some good incised slate tombstones in the churchyard. Opposite the church is the medieval priest's house, carefully restored in 1934. Chaddlehanger, a farmhouse, is 15th century and later; Hurlditch Court is late 16th century (rebuilt); and Collacombe is a notable Elizabethan mansion, the home of the Tremaynes from the 14th century to the end of the 17th when they moved to Sydenham, in Marystow (q.v.). The great hall (now divided) contains an enormous transomed window, and a plaster mantelpiece dated 1574. Collacombe was a Saxon estate. So, too, were Ottery and Willestrew.