Kilmington is located within East Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of Axminster Hundred. It falls within Honiton Vol 2 Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 444 in 1801 523 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website.
A parish history file is held in Axminster Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Kilmington area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 71/8 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 71NE
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SY270981. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SY29NE, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 029, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 193. Geological sheet 326 also covers the area.
Illustrations: The image below is of Kilmington as included in the Library's illustration collection. Other images can be searched for on the local studies catalogue.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
KILMINGTON is chiefly interesting for Coryton, a handsome house built of brick with Portland stone dressings in 1754-6 by Benedictus Marwood Tucker, sheriff of Devon in 1763. Some remains of the older mansion may be seen at Old Coryton. The parish church (St. Giles) was rebuilt, except the tower, in 1862, and contains nothing of note except a large marble monument to Thomas Southcott of Dulshayes, erected in 1735.