Huxham is located within East Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of Wonford Hundred. It falls within Aylesbeare Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 135 in 1801 136 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 33 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
A parish history file is held in Pinhoe Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Huxham area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 68/11 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 68SE
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SX946978. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SX99NW, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 114, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 192. Geological sheet 325 also covers the area.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
HUXHAM is a tiny parish in the Exe valley, with some attractive cottages near the church. The latter (St. Mary) is a small, plain building of early 14th century date, but much rebuilt in 1865-71. The Norman font is a fine example of its period.