Huntshaw is located within Torridge local authority area. Historically it formed part of Fremington Hundred. It falls within Torrington Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 212 in 1801 143 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 66 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
A parish history file is held in Torrington Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Huntshaw area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 19/16 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 19SE
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SS507229. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SS52SW, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 127, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 180. Geological sheet 309 also covers the area.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
HUNTSHAW church (St. Mary Magdalene) is partly an early 14th century building, considerably reconstructed in the 15th, probably in and after 1439 when Bishop Lacy granted an indulgence in aid of the rebuilding of the fabric.(Reg. Lacy, ii, 742.) There are many late medieval tiles of Barnstaple manufacture in the chancel floor; but the church suffered somewhat from a complete restoration in 1862. Among the rectors was Blessed Cuthbert Mayne, instituted in 1561. He was born near Barnstaple and was the first seminary priest to suffer martyrdom. He was beatified by the Roman Catholic Church in 1886.