Huntsham is located within Mid Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of Tiverton Hundred. It falls within Cullompton Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 158 in 1801 222 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 41 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
A parish history file is held in Tiverton Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Huntsham area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 35/1 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 35NW
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is ST003205. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet ST02SW, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 128, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 181. Geological sheet 310 also covers the area.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
HUNTSHAM Huntsham Castle, on high ground bordering Tiverton parish, is a hill-fort of Iron Age date, and commands beautiful views. The church (All Saints) was enlarged and over-restored in 1856 and a N. aisle added 1871. It is of no interest. Huntsham Court was rebuilt in 1869-70.