Hawkchurch is located within East Devon local authority area.
A parish history file is held in Axminster Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database.
Maps: The image below is of the Hawkchurch area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 72/3 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 72NE
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is ST343004. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet ST30SW, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 029, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 193. Geological sheet 326 also covers the area.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
HAWKCHURCH lies in attractive hilly country rising to the Dorset Border. The name means "Hafoc's church," indicating the presence of a church here in pre-Conquest times. The present church (St. John the Baptist) though drastically restored in 1862 (except the tower) is still of considerable interest, retaining much of its Norman interior. The N. arcade is 12th century; that on the S. is somewhat later (c. 1200) with stiff foliage and quaint figures on the square caps. The tower is stately, rising in four stages and bearing the arms of Cerne Abbey. It shows strong Somerset influence. Wyld Court is a fine late 16th century house with a much-gabled front and mullioned windows. It was formerly E-shaped but the W. wing has been pulled down.