Frithelstock is located within Torridge local authority area. Historically it formed part of Shebbear Hundred. It falls within Torrington Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 479 in 1801 429 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 162 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
A parish history file is held in Torrington Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Frithelstock area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 29/10 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 29SW
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SS464195. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SS41NE, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 126, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 180. Geological sheet 307 also covers the area.
Illustrations: The image below is of Frithelstock as included in the Library's illustrations collection. Other images can be searched for on the local studies catalogue.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
FRITHELSTOCK is notable for possessing the only remains of a religious house in North Devon. An Augustinian priory was founded here c. 1220 by Robert de Beauchamp, and dissolved in 1536. Only the W. and N. walls of the priory church remain, together with a portion of the S. wall. The W. wall contains three fine lancet windows. When Sir Stephen Glynne visited Frithelstock in 1845 he found much more of the priory standing. There were remains of a tower, at the SW. of the choir, nearly touching the parish church, and the refectory, which had "a fine open roof of the Suffolk type with collar and hammer beams." (Notes and queries 164 (1933), 279.) There is no trace of the refectory now. The parish church (St. Mary and St. Gregory) is much restored and unexciting. It is mainly a 15th century rebuilding to which a S. aisle was added c. 1500. Some good carved bench-ends (temp. Henry VII) display the crowned double rose of Henry VII, a single feather with label for Henry, Prince of Wales, the arms of Hartland Abbey (the mother-house of Frithel- stock), and other figures and emblems. The royal arms, in plaster, are dated 1677.