Exminster is located within Teignbridge local authority area. Historically it formed part of Exminster Hundred. It falls within Kenn Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 795 in 1801 2560 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 182 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
A parish history file is held in Dawlish Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Exminster area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 92/3 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 92NE
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SX945876. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SX98NW, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 031, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 192. Geological sheet 325 also covers the area.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
EXMINSTER is a large village, somewhat suburbanised and spoilt by its nearness to Exeter. It is an ancient village, dating from the first days of the Saxon occupation of Devon and had a church soon afterwards-" Exe-minster," probably shortly after the new diocese of Sherborne was set up in 705. The present church (St. Martin) is mostly of 14th century date, with later windows inserted, and was too thoroughly restored in Victorian days. The fittings, however, are of some interest. The Peamore chapel is notable for its plaster ceiling dated 1633, depicting the apostles and the four evangelists, done by the Tothills of Peamore who probably reconstructed the nave arcade also. In the chancel is a good Renaissance monument to Otho Petre of Bowhay (now an interesting farm- house), and a fine marble monument to John Cooke (1695), an Exeter merchant who bought the Kenbury estate, which is recorded as early as 1083. Kenbury House is mainly Georgian, in a pleasant little park. Peamore was a Domesday manor, and is now a hotel. Matford was a Domesday manor; the present Matford House is of considerable age.