East Portlemouth is located within South Hams local authority area. Historically it formed part of Coleridge Hundred. It falls within Woodleigh Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 298 in 1801 264 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In the valuation of 1334 it was assessed at £00/09/02. The lay subsidy of 1524 valued the community at £04/08/06. In 1641/2 70 adult males signed the Protestation returns. A market is recorded from 14 cent..
A parish history file is held in Kingsbridge Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the East Portlemouth area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 136/15 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 136SE
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SX748384. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SX73NW, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Outdoor Leisure 20, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 202. Geological sheet 355 also covers the area.
A fair is known from: 14 cent.. [It is intended to include the local section from The glove is up! Devon's historic fairs, by Tricia Gerrish, by kind permission of the author].
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
PORTLEMOUTH faces Salcombe (to which there is a ferry) across the mouth of the Kingsbridge estuary. From the hillside just below the parish church is seen one of the most beautiful estuary views in England, looking N. to Kingsbridge and the distant Moor. The coastal scenery is also very beautiful; most of the cliffs belong to the National Trust. The church (St. Winwaloe) suffered a thorough restoration in 1881 when the floor-levels were radically altered. All the window tracery, roofs, and seating were modernised at the same time. The rood-screen (c. 1500), of the Dartmouth type, probably marks the completion of the new fabric. The lower panels have a fine series of figure paintings, the figure holding a church being St. Winwaloe.