Culmstock is located within Mid Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of Hemyock Hundred. It falls within Cullompton Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 1496 in 1801 766 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. The lay subsidy of 1524 valued the community at £10/08/06. In 1641/2 336 adult males signed the Protestation returns. A market is recorded from 1822.
A parish history file is held in Uffculme Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Culmstock area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 47/1 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 47NW
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is ST101135. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet ST11SW, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 128, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 181. Geological sheet 311 also covers the area.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
CULMSTOCK was once a small market town, but its population is now only one-half of that of 1801. The village is much uglified by red brick, but it has retained a good deal of traditional building of the 18th and early 19th century. It had formerly a considerable woollen industry. Near the river Culm is an old woollen mill, and some 18th century weavers' cottages.