Cotleigh is located within East Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of Colyton Hundred. It falls within Honiton Vol 1 Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 214 in 1801 186 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. The lay subsidy of 1524 valued the community at £05/08/01.
A parish history file is held in Honiton Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Cotleigh area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 59/13,14 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 59SW
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is ST205023. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet ST20SW, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 030, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 192. Geological sheet 326 also covers the area.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
COTLEIGH is a small cluster of houses on a high ridge of the Blackdown Hills. The church (St. Petrock) is mostly 15th century, pleasant but of no great interest, with a rebuilt chancel (1867). The font and wagon roofs should be noticed.