Cofton is located within Teignbridge local authority area. Historically it formed part of Exminster Hundred. It falls within Kenn Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library.
You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Cofton area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 102/8 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 102NE
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SX968802. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SX98SE, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 031, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 192. Geological sheet 339 also covers the area.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
At Cofton [in the parish of DAWLISH] was anciently a chapel dedicated to St. Mary, first heard of in the 14th century it fell into disuse after the Reformation, until Dr. George Kendall, the noted Calvinistic preacher, who had been intruded into the rectory of Kenton and was ejected in 1662, took it over for his own use. There is a memorial to him in the chapel, which was rebuilt (Charles Fowler, architect) in 1839.