Clyst St Mary
Clyst St Mary is located within East Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of East Budleigh Hundred. It falls within Aylesbeare Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 97 in 1801 157 in 1901 594 in 1991. Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In the valuation of 1334 it was assessed at £00/19/04. The lay subsidy of 1524 valued the community at £00/14/10. A market is recorded from 14 cent..
A parish history file is held in Topsham Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Clyst St Mary area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 80/12 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 80SE
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SX975910. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SX99SE, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 114, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 192. Geological sheet 325 also covers the area.
A fair is known from: 14 cent.. [It is intended to include the local section from The glove is up! Devon's historic fairs, by Tricia Gerrish, by kind permission of the author].
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
CLYST ST. MARY lies at the E. end of an ancient bridge over the river Clyst, the oldest surviving bridge in Devon, mentioned in a record of 1238. The raised causeway is 600 ft. long, and of the five arches the two westernmost probably date from 1310 when the bridge was substantially rebuilt.
The church (St. Mary) lies in the park of Winslade House. It was-almost wholly rebuilt in 1870 and is the dullest Victorian work. Winslade House is a late Georgian mansion, now a school.
Clyst was one of the chief scenes of the Western Rebellion of 1549. It was here that the rebels were finally defeated and the village burnt by Lord Russell.