Clyst St Lawrence
Clyst St Lawrence is located within East Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of Cliston Hundred. It falls within Aylesbeare Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 156 in 1801 113 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website.
A parish history file is held in Pinhoe Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Clyst St Lawrence area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 69/2 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 69NW
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is ST028001. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet ST00SW, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 030, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 192. Geological sheet 325 also covers the area.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
CLYST ST. LAWRENCE is in the placid, unspoiled country of the upper Clyst valley. The church (St. Lawrence) is the usual 15th century rebuilding of an older fabric, of which the only evidence to-day is the plain granite font, c. 1200 in date.