Clyst St George
Clyst St George is located within East Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of East Budleigh Hundred. It falls within Aylesbeare Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 249 in 1801 241 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. The lay subsidy of 1524 valued the community at £03/15/06.
A parish history file is held in Topsham Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Clyst St George area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 80/16,81/13 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 80SE,81SW
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SX984888. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SX98NE, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 031, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 192. Geological sheet 325 also covers the area.
Illustrations: The image below is of Clyst St George as included in the Library's illustrations collection. Other images can be searched for on the local studies catalogue.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
CLYST ST. GEORGE is the most southerly of the six parishes named after the Clyst. The church (St. George) was rebuilt in 1851-9 and completely spoilt. It was gutted by fire in an air raid in 1940 but has been again rebuilt (1952).
In this parish is Marsh Barton, granted by Henry de la Pomerai to the Stokespitches c. 1170-80 and held by them in unbroken male succession until 1803. (For the history of the Stokepitches see 'Devonshire.Studies', pp 105-19.) Kenniford Farm, an Elizabethan house, was formally the home of the Osbornes.