Clyst Honiton is located within East Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of East Budleigh Hundred. It falls within Aylesbeare Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 348 in 1801 262 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. The lay subsidy of 1524 valued the community at £05/17/00.
A parish history file is held in Pinhoe Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Clyst Honiton area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 81/1,81/5 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 81NW
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SX989936. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SX99SE, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 030, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 192. Geological sheet 325 also covers the area.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
CLYST HONITON or HONITON CLYST lies on the main road from Exeter to Honiton. It belonged to the Dean and Chapter of Exeter from pre- Conquest times. The village is poor (too much modern brick) and the church (St. Michael) was completely rebuilt and ruined in 1876. Only the early 13th century font and some monuments escaped this devastation. The John Yarde commemorated by the 1575 monument in the church led the advance over Clyst Bridge against the rebels of 1549. Holbrook Farm was a pre-Conquest estate and was the home of the Holbrook family for centuries. lies in quiet red sandstone country. The church (St. Andrew) is a 15th century building spoilt by restoration. The N. aisle was added in 1855. Aunk is a pre-Conquest estate with a possibly Celtic name, referring to the spur on which it stands.