Clayhanger is located within Mid Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of Bampton Hundred. It falls within Cullompton Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 213 in 1801 149 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 69 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
A parish history file is held in Tiverton Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Clayhanger area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 25/10 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 25SW
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is ST021229. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet ST02SW, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 128, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 181. Geological sheet 310 also covers the area.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
CLAYHANGER is a parish of rolling hills and many little combes. Donningstone Mill was a domesday manor in this parish.
The church (St. Peter) preserves its original, simple aisle-less plan, with a W. tower. The church was completely restored in 1979-81 and partly rebuilt. The font is early 13th century in date, and there are some remains of a 15th century screen. There is also a considerable amount of early 16th century seating with well-carved bench-ends of the West Country type. A number of floor slabs and other memorials commemorate the Nutcombe family who owned Nutcombe estate from the early 13th century (if not earlier) until the middle of the 19th. Some of these memorials are excellently lettered. A marbled monument commemorates Richard Nutcombe of Nutcombe, Esq. (1666-1736), sheriff of Devon in 1715-6 "who in an age both in principles and practice corrupt kept his faith entire and his morals untainted".
Nutcombe is a picturesque house, a rebuilding of c.1600 on the old site. The kitchen block of this house has been demolished. Externally it presents no special features, but internally the original plan of the 1600 house is still clear. There are good plaster ceilings downstairs and elaborate ones upstairs. The grotesque figures in the plaster mantelpiece of the hall were copied by the Elizabethan craftsmen from German and Flemish pattern books.