Churston Ferrers is located within Torbay local authority area. Historically it formed part of Haytor Hundred. It falls within Ipplepen Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 663 in 1801 532 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 207 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Churston Ferrers area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 128/1 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 128NW
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SX904562. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SX95NW, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Outdoor Leisure 20, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 202. Geological sheet 350 also covers the area.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
CHURSTON FERRERS occupies the narrow neck of land between the S. shore of Tor Bay and the Dart estuary. Galmpton is a village in this parish, at the head of Galmpton Creek on the Dart. Both Churston and Galmpton are recorded in Domesday book. Churston court, beside the church, is an attractive Elizabethan house. The church (dedication unknown) has a plain W. tower of early date (c. 1300) but the remainder of the fabric is 15th century. (restored 1863-4).
Greenaway, overlooking the Dart, was the home of the Gilberts, and here Sir Humphrey was born about 1539. The present house is Georgian.
Extract from: Dr. Parson’s report to the Local Government Board on typhoid fever in the Totnes Urban and Rural Sanitary Districts, 1881.
Galmpton. - An outbreak of enteric fever occurred in this village in the summer of 1880,remarkable for its especial incidence upon the shipwrights employed in a boat-building yard. Galmpton, a hamlet of about 50 houses, is situated at the head of a combe down which a small streamlet runs to join a tidal creek of the Dart. The cottages are of a superior class, many of them being new. A" plentiful supply of good water from a spring above the village is brought down to taps in different parts, and the general condition of the village as to cleanliness is favourable. It is to be remarked, however, that the whole of the sewage of Galmpton runs into the brook. The bed of the stream has in places been dug out to form catchpits for the collection of sediment as manure; these catchpits, besides being a source of nuisance, are believed to have facilitated the percolation of water into the ground. At Galmpton Kiln, two or three hundred yards lower down, where the brook enters the Dart, are some three or four houses, and also two boat-building yards. The situation is confined and sultry. […]