Chittlehamholt is located within North Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of South Molton Hundred. It falls within South Molton Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library.
A parish history file is held in South Molton Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Chittlehamholt area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 31/2 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 31NW
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SS649210. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SS62SW, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 127, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 180. Geological sheet 309 also covers the area.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
CHITTLEHAMHOLT was formerly a hamlet of Chittlehampton, having originated as a forest-clearing (holt) by people from that village. In medieval times it was a park of the Courtenays, Earls of Devon, but was disparked by order of Henry VIII. The church (St. John the Baptist) was built in 1838. Snydles, now a farm, was a Domesday manor.