Cadbury is located within Mid Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of Hayridge Hundred. It falls within Cadbury Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 238 in 1801 187 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 53 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
A parish history file is held in Tiverton Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Cadbury area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 56/5,9 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 56NW,SW
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SS911049. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SS90NW,SW, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 114, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 192. Geological sheet 325 also covers the area.
Illustrations: The image below is of Cadbury as included in the Library's illustrations collection. Other images can be searched for on the local studies catalogue.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
CADBURY is named after the high earthwork N. of the church- "Cada's burh." The parish is mainly on the new red sandstones and is hilly and strikingly beautiful, rising in Cadbury Castle to 829 ft. This is an Iron Age earthwork, commanding one of the most magnificent views in Devon. Dartmoor and Exmoor are nearly always visible; on a good day the hills of Somerset and Cornwall can be clearly seen.
Fursdon is a small estate which gave its name to the Fursdon family in Henry Ill's time, since when the family have lived here in unbroken male succession. "I'he house is mainly an unexciting Georgian building with some older work behind the stucco, Great Bowley is a farm of pre-Conquest origin.
arcade has good, boldly-cut capitals. The mutilated effigy in curious platearmour in the S. aisle is said by Westcote to be that of William Shilston of Upcott, an old mansion in this parish, now a farmhouse of late 16th century date. There is a good granite S. porch with roof bosses, a rood-screen of rather coarse detail (early 16th century) and coarsely carved bench-ends of the same date. The S. aisle retains its original roof with carved bosses and wall-plates. Among the farms of the parish Downacarey, Moor, and Norton were all recorded in Domesday Book. Witherdon was one of the mansions of the Bidlakes and retains a good deal of old work.
The church (St. Michael) is mainly a plain little 15th century building, over-restored about 1860. There is little of note in it except a good panel of medieval stained glass (c. 1400) in the E. window of the N. aisle, and a carved Elizabethan lectern. The font is Norman, and some of the rubble masonry of the external walling may be also. Some old bench-ends converted into a stall show something of what was destroyed at the "restoration." Despite the great antiquity of the Fursdons there are no monuments of any note to the family.