Bulkworthy is located within Torridge local authority area. Historically it formed part of Shebbear Hundred. It falls within Holsworthy Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 110 in 1801. Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 92 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
A parish history file is held in Torrington Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Bulkworthy area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 39/8 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 39NE
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SS395142. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SS31SE, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 126, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 190. Geological sheet 307 also covers the area.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
BULKWORTHY is a small parish in the upper Torrige valley, formerly a chaplery of Buckland Brewer. The church (St. Michael) was largely rebuilt at the cost of Sir William Hankford (d. 1423), and a S. aile added about a hundred years later. In 1873-4 the church underwent "a thorough restoration", when the remains of the rood-screen were cleared away and some of the carved bench-ends buthered to make the pulpit. The church today is dirty and neglected. It contains a much altered Norman font.
Hankford, a large farm about 1m NW. of the church, gave its name to the Hankfords, of whom the most notable was Sir William, who was made a K.B. at the Coronation of Henry V. He became chief justice of the King's Bench under Henry V, and is sometimes said to have been the judge concerned in the famous incident which culminated in the future Henry V being committed to prison. The present house is a good example of a barton-farm, c. 1600 in date.