Buckland Filleigh is located within Torridge local authority area. Historically it formed part of Shebbear Hundred. It falls within Torrington Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 252 in 1801 182 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 67 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
A parish history file is held in Holsworthy Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image is of the Buckland Filleigh area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 51/3 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 51NE
Illustrations: The image below is of Buckland Filleigh as included in the Library's illustrations collection. Other images can be searched for on the local studies catalogue.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
BUCKLAND FILLEIGH is a small parish in remote unspoiled country, a great part of it occupied by the park and woods of Buckland House. It came to the Fortescues by marriage in 1454 and was held by them until the 1840s. The present house is a large early Georgian mansion, much altered about a hundred years later (1810). The small church (St. Mary) stands in the park. It was probably a 1st century building but has been so rebuilt and restored "that nothing is left of its original character." The N. aisle belonged to Buckland House and contains a number of mural monuments to the Fortescues (1622-1845), including one by Flaxman (1815