Bridford is located within Teignbridge local authority area. Historically it formed part of Wonford Hundred. It falls within Kenn Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 444 in 1801 404 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website.In 1641/2 97 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
A parish history file is held in Chudleigh Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website
Maps: The image below is of the Bridford area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 91/6 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 91NW
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SX817864. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SX88NW, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 031, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 191. Geological sheet 325 also covers the area.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
BRIDFORD is a wild, hilly parish, rising to over 1,100 ft. in places, and containing much beautiful scenery. The village is larger than usual in these upland parishes, mainly because of the granite quarries and the barytes mine. There are disused lead mines also. The older houses of the village are built of moorstone (i.e. surface granite) of which there was much in the higher parts of the parish. The church (St. Thomas Becket) is an early 14th century building, reconstructed c. 1500. It contains many of its ancient fittings: some late medieval glass, carved stalls and bench-ends of the same period (early 16th century), good wagon roofs, and a N. parclose screen. The chief glory of the church is, however, the rood-screen (plate 53). This retains its soft ancient colouring and is of high artistic merit. The carving is remarkably rich and lavish. Above the rood-loft door are the initials of Walter Southcote, rector 1508-50, who gave the screen. The double rose of Henry VIII and the pomegranate of Aragon appear on the screen, which can be dated at about 1530. The pulpit is said to have been made from pieces of the screen.
Laployd Barton (formerly Lapflode) was the seat of the Lapflodes from the time of John until 1523 when the last of that family died. A chapel dedicated to St. Katherine existed here in 1409, but there are now no traces of it. The core of the present house, which is built of moorstone throughout, may be medieval, lengthened at both ends c. 1600, as is suggested by the NE. doorway. Weeke Barton and Woodlands are both good examples of old Devon farmhouses, possibly 16th to 17th century in date. Westcott was the home and property of the Westcotts, typical peasant freeholders, from the late 13th century (if not earlier) until the 18th century.