Bickleigh (Plymouth) is located within South Hams local authority area. Historically it formed part of Roborough Hundred. It falls within Plympton Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 264 in 1801 296 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. In 1641/2 65 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website
Maps: The image below is of the Bickleigh (Plymouth) area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 118/6 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 118NW
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SX521623. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SX56SW, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 108, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 201. Geological sheet 349 also covers the area.
Illustrations: The image below is of Bickleigh (Plymouth) as included in the Library's illustrations collection. Other images can be searched for on the local studies catalogue.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
BICKLEIGH lies on the W. slopes of the wooded Plym valley, here very beautiful. Bickleigh Vale was often visited by the historical painter Benjamin Haydon for inspiration. The manor was given to Buckland Abbey in 1278. After the dissolution it was sold to the Slannings, a local family. It was eventually bought (1798) by the notorious Manasseh Lopes, then M.P. for New Romney, who accumulated a vast estate in this part of Devon. The church (St. Mary) was wholly rebuilt, except the handsome tower, by Sir Ralph Lopes in 1829, and restored again in 1861. (So Worthy, Devonshire Parishes, I, 19, but Kelly's directory (1935) says the church was rebuilt to the design of Fowler of London in1838 and restored in 1882) It contains the remains of a memorial to Gamaliel Slanning, killed in a duel with Sir John Fitz of Fitzford in 1599. Above this are the helmet and gauntlet of his son, Sir Nicholas Slanning (one of the "four wheels of Charles's wain"), killed at the siege of Bristol 26 July 1643. There are also monuments to the Lopes family