Beaworthy is located within West Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of Black Torrington Hundred. It falls within Okehampton Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 218 in 1801 246 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website.In 1641/2 51 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
A parish history file is held in Holsworthy & Okehampton Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the Beaworthy area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 63/11 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 63SE
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SX461994. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SX49NE, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 112, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 190. Geological sheet 323 also covers the area.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
BEAWORTHY has a small 14th century church, practically rebuilt in 1871, and of no interest whatever. The S. doorway has small traces of Norman work. The church is the only one in Devon dedicated to St. Alban, the 4th century protomartyr of Britain.