Abbots Bickington is located within Torridge local authority area. Historically it formed part of Black Torrington Hundred. It falls within Holsworthy Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 68 in 1801 61 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website.In 1641/2 18 adult males signed the Protestation returns.
A parish history file is held in Holsworthy Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website
Maps: The image below is of the Abbots Bickington area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 39/7 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 39NE
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SS385133. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SS31SE, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 126, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 190. Geological sheet 307 also covers the area.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
ABBOTS BICKINGTON formed part of the original endowment of Hartland abbey temp. Henry II, which retained it until the Dissolution. Culsworthy was a small Domesday estate.
The church (St. James) is a pleasing little building, mainly of early 14th century date. It has a small spire, most unusual for Devon. The tower is plastered outside, giving it the character of an old engraving, but concealing its true age. It is probably c. 1300.
The church was Victorianised in 1868 in a not unpleasing way. The E. contains some medieval glass, and the chancel is floored with a considerable number of late medieval tiles, in common with many churches in this part of Devon. The only monument is Sir Amyas Pollard, bart. (1701) his son Thomas (1710). Court the church, where the lived and died, is so called the abbots of Hartland held manor courts here.