Welcome to the Devon Heritage Services’ pages for family historians. These pages are designed to assist you whether you are just beginning your family history, or are already an experienced researcher, but wish to knowabout the sources available for family history in Devon.
If you are new to family history and want to know how and where to start, the following information will help you:
If you are new to family history and want to know how and where to start, the following will help you:
If you wish to know about the basic sources used by family historians, and where to find these in Devon or elsewhere, the following guides will help you:
- Civil Registration - records of births, marriages and deaths from July 1st, 1837
- Censuses – available every 10 years from 1841 to 1911
- Parish Registers - records of Church of England baptisms, marriages and burials
- Non-conformist Registers- records of other baptisms, marriages and burials
- Bishops Transcripts- duplicate records of Church of England baptisms, marriages and burials
- Cemetery Registers - records of burials in non-parochial cemeteries
- International Genealogical Index [I.G.I.]
- Other Useful Sources for Family Historians – including wills, electoral registers etc.