Council & Democracy | Children & Families | Culture & Heritage | Economy & Enterprise | Environment & Planning | Jobs & Careers | Education and Learning | People & Community | Safety & Emergencies | Social Care & Health | Transport & Roads |
Holcombe Rogus is located within Mid Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of Bampton Hundred. It falls within Cullompton Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 662 in 1801 607 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. The lay subsidy of 1524 valued the community at £03/12/06. In 1641/2 195 adult males signed the Protestation returns. A market is recorded from 14 cent..
A parish history file is held in Tiverton Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 35/7 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 35NE
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is ST058189. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet ST01NE, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 128, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 181. Geological sheet 310 also covers the area.
Illustrations: The image below is of Holcombe Rogus as included in the Library's illustrations catalogue. Other images can be searched for on the local studies catalogue.
A fair is known from: 14 cent.. An extract from The glove is up! Devon's historic fairs, by Tricia Gerrish,is used by kind permission of the author.
HOLCOMBE ROGUS LOCATION:Off A38, between Tiverton and Wellington, East Devon
ORIGINAL CHARTER:1343. Given to Richard Chiseldon for 2 day fair at Feast of All Souls (2nd November).
In 1343, Richard Chiseldon received a charter for a 2 day fair at the Feast of All Souls: 2nd November for 'Holecombe'. It was not listed by the late 18th century and does not appear to have been taken over for an agricultural fair.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
HOLCOMBE ROGUS possesses what is perhaps the finest Tudor house in Devon, much more akin to Somerset than to the modest Devonshire houses of the period. The principal part of the house was built by Sir Roger Bluett (d. 1566), perhaps with the materials of an older house on the site. The fine hall and three-storied tower porch are of this period. Considerable alterations and additions were made by Richard Bluett, who succeeded to the estate in 1585. A handsome drawing-room was made in 1591 above the kitchen and its offices, but the panelling was done in the late 17th century. The open roof of the Edwardian hall was hidden by a flat ceiling, and the space above made into a long gallery above the hall and drawing-room. Large additions were made to the house on the W. side during the third quarter of the 19th century, and it now surrounds a small court, with the kitchen in the new wing. The ceiling, panelling, and screen of the hall are modern, as also is the present balcony opening from the drawing-room into the hall. The Bluetts sold the estate to the Rev. W. Rayer in 1858, so ending a stay of some 400 years; and a few years ago Holcombe Court was sold again to Mr. Fleetwood-Hesketh, of an old Lancashire family.
The near-by church (All Saints) is a 15th century building. At the E. end of the N. aisle is the Bluett pew, enclosed by a large cinquecento screen which includes portions of the old rood-screen. The cornice is composed of a series of large medallions carved with scenes from the books of Genesis and Exodus. In the N. chapel are the Bluett monuments. Among these is a fine tomb with effigies of Richard Bluett (1615) and Mary Chichester his wife, with their eleven children, and another of Sir John Bluett (1634) and his wife Elizabeth Portman. There are very pleasing 18th century mural monuments also, notably that to the Rev. Robert Bluett (1749).
At the entrance to the churchyard is the Church House (early 16th century), a good example of its type with oak mullioned windows. Kerswell Farm is recorded in Domesday Book: its name means "cress spring."