Council & Democracy | Children & Families | Culture & Heritage | Economy & Enterprise | Environment & Planning | Jobs & Careers | Education and Learning | People & Community | Safety & Emergencies | Social Care & Health | Transport & Roads |
East Budleigh is located within East Devon local authority area. Historically it formed part of East Budleigh Hundred. It falls within Aylesbeare Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. The Deaneries are used to arrange the typescript Church Notes of B.F.Cresswell which are held in the Westcountry Studies Library. The population was 1014 in 1801 2653 in 1901 . Figures for other years are available on the local studies website. The lay subsidy of 1524 valued the community at £17/04/00. Budleigh Salterton became administratively separate in 1894.
A parish history file is held in Budleigh Salterton Library. You can look for other material on the community by using the place search on the main local studies database. Further historical information is also available on the Genuki website.
Maps: The image below is of the East Budleigh area on Donn's one inch to the mile survey of 1765.
On the County Series Ordnance Survey mapping the area is to be found on 1:2,500 sheet 93/12 Six inch (1:10560) sheet 93SE
The National Grid reference for the centre of the area is SY068847. On the post 1945 National Grid Ordnance Survey mapping the sheets are: 1:10,000 (six inch to a mile: sheet SY08SE, 1:25,000 mapping: sheet Explorer 030, Landranger (1:50,000) mapping: sheet 192. Geological sheet 339 also covers the area.
Illustrations: The image below is of East Budleigh as included in the Library's illustrations collection. Other images can be searched for on the local studies catalogue.
Extract from Devon by W.G.Hoskins (1954), included by kind permission of the copyright holder:
EAST BUDLEIGH This large and unspoilt village was formerly a market-town and a port, before the Otter silted up. According to Leland, ships were still using it in the 15th century. There is much excellent building in cob and thatch, and a number of good farmhouses of the East Devon type. Hayes Barton, 1 m. W. of the village, was the birthplace of Sir Walter Raleigh in 1552, and remains a good example of a Tudor house.
The church of All Saints, built of red sandstone, rises boldly at the head of the village. It is largely a 15th century building, with imposing arcades in Beer stone, well restored in 1884-7. The screen of five bays is of a simple 15th century design, much restored. More than sixty ancient bench-ends survive, all vigorously and boldly carved. Most of them are 16th century in date, but a few may be older. All of them are worth detailed study: almost certainly they are of local workmanship. The Raleigh pew, with the family arms and the date 1537 on the end, is the first on the N. side of the nave.