Council & Democracy | Children & Families | Culture & Heritage | Economy & Enterprise | Environment & Planning | Jobs & Careers | Education and Learning | People & Community | Safety & Emergencies | Social Care & Health | Transport & Roads |
It is our duty to safeguard and promote the welfare of children.
The Children Act 1989 places duties on the courts and local authorities to make sure that every effort is made to keep families together by providing support to children at home.
A child who has to live away from home and be cared for by Devon County Council's Children and Young People's Services is known as a Child in Care (CiC). There are nearly 600 Children in Care in Devon. The proportion of children in foster homes is around 76%, with 5% of Children in Care adopted each year.
Find out more
- Children in care awards
- Family Care Workers Scheme
- Residential care for children
- Permanency Planning Meetings - Ref. 47
- Atkinson Secure Children's Home
- Education of Children in Care
- Greenfields Children's Home
- Rifford Road Community Home
- Birchen Lane
- Respite Care for Children
- Looked-after children who go missing
- Leaving Care
- Contact Social Services Online
- call your local Social Services office