Information for Waste Depositors (16KB - pdf help)
Vehicle and Site User Restrictions
Open all year round (except Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day)
| ||Summer (Apr - Sep) ||Winter (Oct - Mar) |
|Thursday, Friday||8:00am - 6:00pm||8:00am - 4:30pm|
|Saturday and Sunday||10:00am - 6:00pm||10:00am - 4:30pm|
Please note that trailers over 1.8m (6 feet) internal/body length are no longer permitted at this site**
List of acceptable materials:
- Recyclable materials
- Bulky household items
e.g. Furniture, carpets, household electrical equipment
Recycling facilities available
- Glass bottles and jars
- Newspapers and magazines
- Card/Yellow Pages
- Aluminium and steel cans (including empty steel paint cans)
- Foil: clean aluminium foil only
- Garden/green waste
- Large domestic appliances, e.g. cookers, microwaves, washing machines etc
- Small domestic appliances, e.g. toasters, lawn mowers, hairdryers etc
- TVs / computer monitors
- Plastic bottles
- Clean mixed plastic packaging (8KB - pdf help)
- DIY engine oil
- Vegetable oil
- Car batteries
- Domestic batteries
- Energy saving light bulbs (recycled with fluorescent tubes)
- DIY waste: 12 large bags/0.5 tonnes in 6 month period (EXCLUDES soil/rubble, plasterboard, asbestos, tyres - see Chargeable below)
- Household chemicals (e.g. pesticides, white spirit, bleach, old medicines, oil-based paint): 5 litres in 12 months
- Gas bottles (4KB - pdf help)
- Fluorescent tubes: 5 in 6 month period
- Noxious weeds (606KB - pdf help)
- Soil/Rubble (including bricks, blocks, tiles, paving slabs, concrete posts, sanitary ware etc) £1.05 per bag
- Tyres £2.10 per tyre
A "bag" is defined as "a small, plastic sand/aggregate bag from standard DIY stores that can be safely lifted by one person".
For further information about charging see Chargeable Waste.
- Commercial/trade waste. Trade green waste and cardboard is acceptable for a charge at certain Recycling Centres by arrangement only, see Trade Recycling for further details.
- Food/putrescible/excess non-recyclable waste: not acceptable at this site. Your nearest alternative is Seven Brethren Recycling Centre, Barnstaple by arrangement only, please contact your local district/city council in the first instance.
- Sharps/clinical items: please contact your local district/city council
- Animals/animal bedding
- Asbestos: chargeable at certain Recycling Centres (must be pre-booked - see Asbestos for further information).
- Plasterboard: chargeable at certain Recycling Centres - see Chargeable Waste for further information.
- Fireworks, flares, explosives and ammunition - please contact your local police for advice.
Reusable goods are set aside/salvaged for re-use at this Recycling Centre. Due to space constraints, items are not offered for sale on site, but may be purchased at one of South Molton Recycling Ltd's dedicated shops. For futher information see SMR Phoenix.
Health and Safety
All recycling centre users must adhere to the following rules when on site:-
Gloves Should Be Worn When Unloading
Wear Suitable Footwear
Avoid Lifting Heavy Weights
Children and Animals Must Remain in Vehicles
Site Speed Limit
Please See Site Staff if Disposing of Hazardous Materials
Take Care on Steps
Reasonable assistance will be provided when requested.
How to get there: Maclins Quarry Recycling Centre, South Molton EX36 3EB
Please refer to the following directions or select the Maclins Quarry map
From the town square travel eastwards along East Street (B3227) for about a quarter of a mile, then turn left into Station Road. The site can be found on the left hand side after approximately half a mile.
For further enquiries call Devon County Council Waste Management on
0845 155 1010