TS Home

Consumer Safety

A key aspect of the work of Trading Standards, is promoting and ensuring Product Safety. On this page you will find guidance and resources to help you make informed purchases, and information on getting help if something goes wrong.

Concerned about a product you have already purchased?: Visit our comprehensive list of the latest Food and Product Safety Recalls


Blind /Curtains: Blind and curtain cords pose a potential hazard, particularly for young children. Guidance on how to reduce the risks is contained within our Guidance Notes image - PDF icon (34KB - pdf help). It also contains links to further sources of information covering blind cord safety.

Buying Electrical Items?: The Electrical Safety Council has produced this handy Safe Shoppers Guide image - PDF icon (546KB - pdf help) to assist consumers in making wise purchases and a useful guide to checking the Safety of Chargers image - PDF icon (210KB - pdf help). Further leaflets are available to download from their website here.

CE Marking, what does it mean to Consumers? :The mark is a declaration that a product will meet the essential requirements set out in the EU directives applicable to that product, such as Electrical equipment and Toys. The EU commission have guidance on the mark for consumers on their website.

Chemical Product Labelling: New labels for chemical products,do you know what they mean? The Chemical Hazards Communication Society has produced some usefeul information on their website in understanding the new labelling requirements.

Child Accidents: The Child Accident Prevention Trust has free advice on how to prevent accidents, on their website.They are the UK’s leading charity working to reduce the number of children and young people killed, disabled or seriously injured in accidents.

Child car seats: For car seats to be effective in protecting your child, they need be suitable for the right weight/age of your child and fitted correctly. Devon County Council’s Road Safety Team can check your child’s car seat is correctly fitted in your vehicle and offer advice for free, see child in car safety.

Electrical Blankets: When choosing your electric blanket, you should buy it from a reliable source. Check that it has a UK safety standard mark. This is a symbol that means the blanket has been independently tested and meets the latest UK and European safety standards. Further detail on electrical blankets can be found on the directgov website.

Electrical Extension lead safety:- Most people have extension leads in their homes, using 4-way bar adaptors to increase the number of appliances that they can plug into a wall socket. However, although there is space to plug in four appliances, this does not mean it is always safe to do so; overloading the sockets can put your home at risk of fire.

Safe Electrical installations on your property and the law :If your having any work on your home electrics done (Including any new extensions, garden, outbuildings etc), it needs to comply with ‘Part P’ of the Building Regulations. The regulations are designed to protect you, your family and home from any electrical hazards. If you Employ an electrician registered with one of the government-approved Part P electrical self-certification schemes, they will arrange for you to receive a certificate confirming the work meets ‘Part P’ of the Building Regulations; if not you will need to inform you local building control department to ensure it complies. If it doesn’t comply it will need to be removed or altered.  There are some works where you do not need to inform the local building control department, such as repairs, or replacements and maintenance. More information on ‘Part P’ and what works you don’t need to inform building control, can be found on the Electrical Safety Councils website and a booklet produced by the Department for Communities and Local Government gives further detail.

To find a registered electrician The Electrical Safety Register has been created by the leading organisations dedicated to the electrical contracting industry and electrical safety, the Electrical Contractors Association (ECA) and the Electrical Safety Council (ESC).

Fireworks Safety : The Department for Innovation and skills (BIS) has a list of useful resources on the safe use and sale of fireworks.

Need advice on Age Restricted Products? Information on the sale of alcohol tobacco knives and explosives as well as details of our ongoing work in this area.

Prams and Pushchairs:For advice on buying a pram or pushchair see our comprehensive advice leaflet.

Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents: Are a registered charity and have been at the heart of accident prevention in the UK and around the world for more than 90 years.They promote safety and the prevention of accidents at work, at leisure, on the road, in the home and through safety education.More information can be found on their website

Toy Safety Guidance for Parents: What to look for when buying toys, safe use of toys, markings on toys and other useful advice can be found here image - PDF icon (14KB - pdf help).

Trampoline Safety: Fun they may be, but falling from a trampoline can be equivalent to falling from a first storey window, and serious injuries can occur. Following safety guidelines will reduce the risk of injury. Avonsafe is a partnership of organisations who work to reduce unintentional injuries in the West of England.and they have a website covering Trampoline Safety with useful links to guidance. here