Ashburton and Buckfastleigh
(4.51MB - pdf help)
Ashburton is a little town on the fringes of Dartmoor, lying adjacent to the A38 Devon Expressway.
It was formerly important as a stannary town (a centre for the administration of tin-mining), and remains the largest town within the National Park. During the English Civil War, Ashburton was a temporary refuge for Royalist troops fleeing after their defeat by General Fairfax at nearby Bovey Tracey.
The town was the terminus of the Buckfastleigh, Totnes and South Devon Railway that opened on 1 May 1872. Ashburton railway station closed to passengers in November 1958 although goods traffic on the line continued until 7 September 1962.
Buckfastleigh is a small market town on the A38 at the edge of Dartmoor National Park. It is part of Teignbridge District Council and (for ecclesiastical purposes) lies within the Totnes Deanery. It is a centre of tourism, and is home to Buckfast Abbey, the South Devon Railway, and the Buckfastleigh Butterfly Farm and Otter Sanctuary.
Geographically, Buckfastleigh straddles the confluence of two small streams from Dartmoor which feed into the River Dart just to the east of the town. About one mile to the north lies Buckfast, home of Buckfast Abbey. To the northwest lie Holne and Scorriton on the southern ramparts of the Dartmoor massif. Pridhamsleigh Cavern is nearby.
- The population of the Ashburton & Buckfastleigh Devon Town area for 2009 is 9704
- In the last 10 years, the population has grown by 7.3%
- Claimant counts for November 2008 were approximately 40
- Job Seekers Allowance for the area reached 0.65% of the working age population in November 2008
- District claimant count figures for 2008 showed a claimant count of 1.52% of the working age population
- The Average income in 2008 for the Ashburton & Buckfastleigh Devon Town area is £29700.29 per household
- Average house price for the area in 2007 was recorded as £265,179.02
- In 2007 there were 102 year 11 pupils in this area
- 61.76% of year 11 pupils attained 5 A*-C grades at GCSE
- There are 91 year 6 pupils throughout the Ashburton & Buckfastleigh Devon Town area
- 82.8% of pupils attained KS2 Level 4+
- For statistical profiles on Ashburton & Buckfastleigh please click here