GIS is a computer-based tool for mapping and analysing things that exist and happen on earth. Map making and geographical analysis are not new, but GIS can perform these tasks better and faster than old manual methods.
GIS can display any data which is directly or indirectly spatially referenced to the earth - for example, in Devon County Council all highway information is geographically referenced and all pupils and Social Services clients have a postcode included in their records. Using GIS, data can be merged with information from other sources and displayed together whilst preserving confidentiality (see examples below).
- Distribution of elderly Social Services clients in East Devon
- Proportion of the population on benefit
- SWITCH - Car usage of County Hall staff
- Destination of inwardly elderly migrants
- Distribution of pupils in Countess Wear First School
Exeter EX2 4QD