Children with Additional Needs

Useful information for parents and carers


This page contains information about support and services available for all children and young people with additional needs and their families.

Some services are provided by statutory agencies such as Devon County Council and NHS Devon, others are provided by private sector companies, or community or voluntary groups.

We can give you information and advice about services and support you can use even if you have been assessed as not needing a service from us.

Information is in these sections:

Parent Partnership Service logoDevon Parent Partnership Service
Devon Parent Partnership Service provides impartial information, support and training about education, health and social care, for parents and carers of children and young people aged 0-25 years with special educational needs and disabilities.

DISCplus local information co-ordinators
DISCplus is the single point of contact you can use to get information that is relevant to your circumstances, whether this relates to education, health or social care. You can call or email for the information you want about the services and support available to you in looking after your child.

If you can’t find what you’re looking for here, need more information or would like to receive the DISCplus newsletter for parents and carers of children with additional needs, contact the DISCplus local information co-ordinator for your area on freephone 0845 155 1013 or email

Parent Carer Voice
Parent Carer Voice is a group of parents and carers who all have children with additional needs and share the common aim of improving services for children. The group discusses issues which may be connected with health, education or care and support. Parent Carer Voice will sometimes be asked for feedback on a particular service or the development of a new one.

We have a range of factsheets providing information about support and services available to children, young people and families, including factsheets specifically for parents and carers of children with additional needs.

Services for children with disabilities

You can search the family information directory for childcare and mainstream activities in your area which may be suitable for your child.