Devon has a varied and ancient geology and as you travel around the County this variety is cleary reflected in the diverse landscape. The county is also distinguished in being the only one to give its name to a geological system of world-wide recognition: the Devonian.
Geology gives an unrivalled insight into the history of the Earth but it is worth rembering that the processes that have helped shape the planet are still at work as can be seen in such dynamic landscapes as the sand dunes of Dawlish Warren in the Exe Estuary.
Use the links below to dig deeper into the Geology of Devon...
Find out more
- Devon's Rocks - A Geological Guide
- Where to see Geology in Devon
- Geology to see in Eastern Devon
- Geology to see in Northern Devon and Exmoor
- Geology to see in Southern Devon
- Geology to see in Western Devon and Dartmoor
- Educational Register of Geological Sites
- Geology Postcards
- Geology of County Hall
- Geology of Exeter Cathedral Leaflet
Also on devon.gov.uk
Other Web Sites