Child Employment

When a child of compulsory school age is employed to work after school, at weekends or during school holidays, the law states that they must be registered for work with their local authority, who will issue a work permit. Similarly, if they are involved in entertainment, which covers T.V. film, theatre, modelling and paid sport, they may require a performance licence and a licensed chaperone. The work permits and performance licences are issued by the Local Authority, which in Devon falls under the responsibilities of the Education Welfare Service.

The Education Welfare Service is part of the Devon Learning and Development Partnership. Their website holds much more information on child employment.

Contact Us

Learning & Development Partnership
Education Welfare
Second Floor
Milford House
Pynes Hill

01392 287228


01392 383967