Older People

Care of your pet

If you are going into hospital, or for a short stay in a residential care home, you will need someone to look after your pet.  Also if you are reading this on behalf of someone who has entered hospital in an emergency and has a pet who needs to be cared for you could try the following:

The most common option is to ask a family member, good neighbour or friend to help. If not, for cats and dogs, you may need to contact a local kennel or cattery. You should be able to find details of these in your local telephone directory.

You could ask your local veterinary surgeon or the district council's dog warden to suggest some options.

You could also contact the following organisations who may be able to assist:

  • The local RSPCA
  • The Cinnamon Trust which is also a charitable organisation (based in Cornwall) who have 4,500 registered volunteers across the UK. They may be able to help you find pet care.
  • The local Blue Cross

If you are worried about the cost of boarding your pet, please contact Care Direct for advice.

See also: