Open all year round (except Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day)
|Summer (Apr - Sep)||Winter (Oct - Mar)|
|Monday - Friday||9:00am - 5:00pm||9:00am - 4:30pm|
|Saturday and Sunday||10:00am - 6:00pm||10:00am - 4:30pm|
Waste loading/skip changes may result in this site (or part of the site) being closed for short periods throughout the day. For your own safety, please remain in your vehicle and keep your waste on board until the loading/skip exchange is completed. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
List of acceptable materials:
Please ensure that your waste is separated before arriving at the site
- Recyclable materials
- Bulky household items
e.g. Furniture, carpets, household electrical equipment
Recycling facilities available
- Glass bottles and jars
- Newspapers and magazines
- Card/Yellow Pages
- Aluminium and steel cans (including empty steel paint cans)
- Foil: clean aluminium foil only (recycled with metal)
- Garden/green waste (branches up to 250mm or 10 inches in diameter are accepted)
- Metal (including empty aerosol cans)
- Petrol powered lawn mowers and strimmers (must be emptied of fuel)
- Large domestic appliances, e.g. cookers, microwaves, washing machines etc
- Small domestic appliances, e.g. toasters, lawn mowers, hairdryers etc
- Spent printer cartridges
- Flat glass
- TVs / computer monitors
- Plastic bottles
- Clean mixed plastic packaging, e.g. food trays and yoghurt pots (must be washed)
- Cling film type packaging is not acceptable
- Bulky/rigid plastics (126KB - pdf help)
- DIY engine oil
- Vegetable oil
- Car batteries
- Domestic batteries
- Energy saving light bulbs (recycled with fluorescent tubes)
- DIY waste: 0.5 tonnes in 6 month period (limit EXCLUDES Chargeable Waste - see below)
- Household chemicals (e.g. pesticides, white spirit, bleach, oil-based paint): 5 litres in 12 months.
- Gas bottles (4KB - pdf help)
- Fluorescent tubes: 5 in 6 month period
- Noxious weeds (1.78MB - pdf help)
- NHS Equipment (6KB - pdf help)
|Soil and Rubble: Includes bricks, blocks, slates, tiles, rubble, paving slabs, concrete, gravel, tarmac, stones, soil, sand, hardcore and sanitary ware (ceramic toilets, sinks, pedestals etc).||£2.00 per bag|
|Tyres: Commercial and agricultural vehicle tyres will not be accepted. No charge for bicycle tyres.||£3.50 per tyre|
|Plasterboard: Includes plaster and gypsum related products.||£3.50 per bag|
|Plastic Window: With or without glass. Single pane window only (double charge for multiple pane plastic windows).||£3.50 each|
|Plastic Door or Door Frame: With or without glass. Single door or door frame only (double charge for double door or door + frame combined).||£3.50 each|
|Bath or Shower Tray (plastic, fibreglass or composite): Single bath or shower tray only.||£3.50 each|
|Shower Screen: Plastic or glass shower screen/enclosure.||£3.50 each|
|Insulation Materials: 1 sheet or 1 bag.||£3.50 per bag/sheet|
|Roofing Felt||£3.50 per bag/roll|
|Plastic Pipes/Guttering/Facia etc.: Up to 5 lengths/pieces (approximately 2 metres per length or part there of).||£3.50 for up to 5 lengths/pieces|
|Asbestos: Bonded Asbestos only.||£9.50 per bag/sheet|
The charges payable will be based upon the quantity of material to be deposited using the rates given as an indicative guide.
Payment for bags/sheets will be whole multiples of ‘bags’ e.g. 3 x £2 not 2.75 x £2.
A "bag" is defined as "a small, plastic sand/aggregate bag from standard DIY stores that can be safely lifted by one person".
Plasterboard waste can only be accepted if it is separated from other materials, due to restrictions imposed on land-filling plasterboard and the need to keep gypsum clean for reuse in new plasterboard or on land reclamation activities. For example, the removal of ceramic tiles may be easier if the plasterboard has been soaked in water.
A "sheet of asbestos" is a "small domestic roofing sheet or similar". For the avoidance of doubt; any item which the site staff deem to contain asbestos will be treated as asbestos (regardless of any analysis or certificates that may have been obtained to state the material is asbestos free) and restrictions/charges will apply. (Please note that all asbestos must be double wrapped/bagged in strong plastic and pre-booked - see Asbestos for further information).
Items such as a toilet pan, toilet cistern; sink, sink pedestal, concrete block etc will be charged as single items and the relevant ‘per bag’ rate will apply.
Loose waste/waste in trailers etc will be assessed by the site manager.
The site manager’s decision on the actual charge to be made is final.
Charges, inclusive of VAT, are payable directly to the site contractor. Payment can be made using cash or credit card (minimum transaction fee may apply. Cash only at Maclins Quarry, South Molton and Deep Moor, Torrington). Receipts will be offered.
This is a service for which payment must be made. Legal proceedings will be taken against anyone using the service or attempting to use the service without payment in full.
For further information about charging see Chargeable Waste.
- Food: not acceptable at this Recycling Centre. Your nearest alternative is Punchbowl Recycling Centre, Crediton by arrangement only. Please contact your local district/city council in the first instance
- Sharps/clinical items: please contact your local district/city council
- Animals/animal bedding
- Commercial/trade waste. Trade green waste and cardboard is acceptable for a charge at certain Recycling Centres by arrangement only, see Trade Recycling for further details
- Fireworks (spent/unspent), flares, explosives and ammunition - please contact your local police for advice
- Sewage/contents of drains
Reusable goods are set aside/salvaged for for re-use at this Recycling Centre.
All such goods are offered for sale by the contractors/site operators, and any money made contributes towards site operating costs.
Prices of items for sale are determined by the Contractor and not Devon County Council. As stock is continuously changing, there is no guarantee of specific items being available.
Please note that sales of electrical goods are not permitted to the general public
Health and Safety
All recycling centre users must adhere to the following rules when on site:-
Gloves Should Be Worn When Unloading
Wear Suitable Footwear
Avoid Lifting Heavy Weights
Children and Animals Must Remain in Vehicles
Site Speed Limit
Please See Site Staff if Disposing of Hazardous Materials
Take Care on Steps
Reasonable assistance will be provided when requested.
Site staff will aim to provide assistance when reasonable; however they are unable to lift excessively heavy and/or awkward loads. For example, if a bulky/heavy item required 2 or more persons to initially load the vehicle then it will be expected that the same amount of people arrive to help unload the vehicle once on site.
How to get there: Ashley Recycling Centre, Tiverton EX16 5PD
Please refer to the following directions or select the Ashley map.
From Tiverton take the A396 towards Exeter, the site can be found on the right after approximately two miles.
Travelling on the A396 towards Tiverton from the Exeter direction the site can be found on the left, approximately one and a half miles from Bickleigh.