Regional Planning Guidance 10 was published by the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, in September 2001. This document sets out a broad development strategy for the period up to 2016 and beyond within which Local Authorities in the South West prepare development plans and local transport plans.
Objectives of the guidance include:
- The need to provide everyone in the South West with the opportunity for a decent home;
- To give priority to the reuse of previously developed land in urban areas
- To return empty homes back to use, in preference to development of greenfield sites;
- To create sustainable and mixed communities, giving a choice of housing by type, size and tenure;
- Creating sustainable patterns of development;
- Promoting new housing and residential environments which are well designed and make a contribution to urban renaissance and improving the quality of life.
Devon County Council is committed to working with partners to ensure that there is a sufficient supply of affordable housing for Devon
Our Strategic Plan sets the following target:
- Ensure that the planning framework is in place for an average 3,450 new homes a year to meet the needs of Devon communities through to 2016 with a review by May 2008
Also on devon.gov.uk